Wednesday, November 14, 2012

WE ARE LOVED!



One of the great things about being Fierce and Fabulous Over 50 is that over the years we’ve had the opportunity to give our love and care to many people – some for a short time and others for most of our lives.  If we are lucky, our husbands fall into the category of most of our lives.  Recently my husband and I celebrated our 24th Wedding Anniversary.  It was an extremely busy time for the both of us.  In fact, we weren’t even together on our Anniversary.  He was in New Jersey and I was in Arkansas and then I went on to Boston after that.  We exchanged our love and wishes via phone and he promised to take me out to my favorite restaurant for dinner when I returned.

We both (at least that’s what I thought) moved on with our busy lives and quite frankly it slip my mind when I finally arrived home from Boston that we hadn’t formally celebrated our Anniversary.  Upon entering the house tired and frustrated from a five-hour delay at the Boston airport, I fell into his arms and announced that all I wanted to do is take a bath and go to bed.  As I moved towards the stairs to go up to the guest room bath where there is a tub that takes just a minute to fill, he strongly encouraged me to fill up the Jacuzzi in the master bath.  “After all, he said, you deserve it, you have been traveling for days.” But I was adamant that it would take too much time to fill up the Jacuzzi and I just wanted to quickly take a bath and rest my weary bones.  As usual, he wasn’t taking no for an answer and I finally submitted to his wishes (as I often do).  As I entered, the bedroom I was startled by a huge white box on the bed – I screamed and he laughed.  He unlike me had not forgotten to formally mark our Anniversary.  He had bought me an incredibly thoughtful and beautiful gift.  I felt so loved at that moment.

I share this story with you because I think as we get older we can forget how much we have impacted the lives of people around us over the years – our children, our husbands, sisters, brothers, parents and colleagues.  We have earned our Fierce and Fabulous stripes because we have extended our love and care to others for decades and now all of that love and concern is coming back to us many times over.  We need to bask in it and enjoy it.  We are loved and cherished in so many ways and we deserve it!

Have you had an experience that let you know how much you are loved and cherished by those close to you? Let us know.

Be Fierce and Fabulous until next time!


Debra 

No comments:

Post a Comment