Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Challenge Your Negative Thinking




Women over 50 women have a lot of living under their belt, in other words, we have seen enough of life to know that anything is possible yet we can still find ourselves thinking negatively in certain situations.  One of the key roles I play as an executive coach is to challenge my client’s negative thinking.  By challenging their negative thinking, I help client’s uncover the evidence and assumptions they use to form opinions and draw conclusions.  I help them discover the faulty thinking patterns that sometimes stand in the way of achieving their goals. 

Because thinking drives our behavior, faulty thinking can lead to misguided actions and missed opportunities.  Our thinking can be a great motivator or it can stop us dead in our tracks if we think there are insurmountable obstacles that prevent us from going forward. 

The good news is that you don’t need a coach to challenge your negative thinking patterns, you can do it yourself.  The next time you are stuck in a negative thinking pattern that prevents you from solving an issue or achieving an objective ask yourself the following questions:

1.     What evidence do I have that supports my current thinking?
2.     What other difficult situations have I successfully overcome that are similar to this one?    
3.     What can I use from my pass successes that will help me overcome the current obstacle I face?

Negative thinking doesn’t have to paralyze you.  Challenge it and get on with achieving your goals and celebrating your successes. 

What are negatives thoughts stopping you from doing?  How will you challenge those thoughts and have what you want?

Live Fierce and Fabulous, until next time.

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment